The Nansen model for integrated education is a new model of education, which represents a role model for education of all ethnic communities in multiethnic environments and a mirror of the future modern educational and upbringing system in Republic of Macedonia and abroad. This educational model fosters, encourages and integrates in itself: the multiethnic values, bilingualism, education and superstructuring of the students, parents, employees and the community through harmonious relations based on respecting the differences, building a cohesive multiethnic family at the same time. The intention of the quality integrated bilingual education is building modern, successful, effective upbringing and educational facilities, which will promote the multiethnic values, the individualized approach towards students, a positive emotional climate, constructive multidirectional communication in a pleasant and encouraging school setting.
Using the extensive experience from the work on development of the integrated primary and secondary education in Macedonia, the Team for education, training and development at Nansen Dialogue Center – Skopje has created the following package of basic trainings, which will have the following goals:
- Introduction to the characteristics, specifics and acquisitions of the Nansen model for integrated education;
- Developing skills for successful direct implementation of integrated extracurricular activities in the schools with multiethnic structure of students;
- Training for independent preparation and implementation of integrated extracurricular activities;
- Developing sense for respecting differences in the school surroundings, as well as overcoming stereotypes and prejudices of social, ethnic, cultural character;
- Training for constructive solving of conflict situations in groups with ethnically heterogeneous composition;
- Developing and fostering a positive emotional climate in the group with heterogeneous ethnic structure;
- Promoting the importance of the individualized approach in accordance with the individual potentials and abilities of the students;
- Developing skills for successful team and tandem cooperation;
- Identifying the positive impact and the characteristics of the game method in the integrated extracurricular activities;
- Developing sense in implementers of integrated extracurricular activities for supporting children’s curiosity, originality, as well as their creative potentials;
- Getting introduced to techniques for encouraging and developing the logical, flexible, divergent and critical thinking of the students;
- Strengthening the interaction, cooperation and confidence between the teaching staff from various ethnic communities.
Who are the training programs intended for:
The Program for these basic trainings has been drafted and structured to enable all teachers, pedagogues, psychologists, directors of primary and secondary schools, as well as students from the Teaching Faculties and other stakeholders, to learn the characteristics, specifics and acquisitions of the Nansen model for integrated education, and to develop the skills for successful direct realization of the “Programs for integrated extracurricular activities” in schools with multiethnic structure of students.
Structure of the training program (basic level):
The Program consists of 10 program fields. The training cycle is implemented during one semester. The training topics are the following:
- Characteristics of the Nansen model for integrated education.
- Integration as a link between the formal teaching and the extracurricular activities
- The bilingual component in the extracurricular activities
- Planning and creating the integrated extracurricular activities
- The role of the game in the integrated extracurricular activities
- Forms, methods and techniques of work in integrated groups
- The role and the meaning of team and tandem cooperation
- Overcoming stereotypes and prejudices in ethnically mixed groups
- Types of communication in bilingual groups
- Students and parents – active partners in integrated schools
Specifics of the training:
- Interactive method of work
- Bilingual approach
- Working in small groups
- Group discussion
- Learning by solving problems
- Role play
The participants who will actively attend 90% of the trainings will receive the following:
– Certificate for completed training for integrated education – basic level.
– Manual for teachers on the Nansen model for integrated education.