The education in the Republic of Macedonia is facing the big challenge of successfully performing the promotion of the principle of integration of students from different ethnic and cultural groups i.e. from different speaking regions.
The multi – layer process of integration versus segregation, in the contemporary educational institutions, should be built in a way to establish quality and constructive relations not only among students but also among teachers, professional associates and parents as a good role model for children and also as one the most important links in the complex educational chain.
The Nansen Model for Integrated Education is a new model of education that exemplifies the education of all ethnic communities in multicultural environments and mirrors the future modern educational system in the Republic of Macedonia and beyond. This educational model cultivates, encourages and integrates within itself: the multi – ethnic values, bilingualism, education and upgrading of students as well as parents, employees and the community through harmonious relations based on respect for differences, while building a cohesive multi – ethnic family. The intention of quality integrated education is building contemporary, successful, effective educational institutions that will promote multi – ethnic values, individualized approach towards students, positive emotional climate, and constructive multi – directional communication in a pleasant stimulating school environment.
Objectives of the training:
- Introducing the concept and idea for integrated education and its distinctions and characteristics;
- Sensibilization of respect for diversity and otherness in the wider social environment;
- Supporting constructive cooperation and interaction between teachers as well as well as educational institutions from different municipalities in the territory of the Republic of Macedonia;
- Qualification for qualitative evaluation of the contents’ component in the books/literature;
- Familiarization with positive examples and experiences on successful implementation of integrated education;
- Development of the idea for integrated education in Macedonian social context;
- Creation of standards for evaluating different types of integrated activities.
For whom are the training programs intended:
The training program is conceptualized and structured so to enable all teachers, pedagogues, psychologists, sociologists, directors of primary and secondary schools as well as representatives of most of the educational institutions in R.M. such as BED, State Education Inspectorate, but also other subjects that are interested in the idea, concept of the Nansen Model for Integrated Education as a contemporary educational tendency and trend.
Structure of the training program (advanced level):
The program contains 6 program areas as a combination of lectures, workshops and practical work. The training is carried out during one semester. Topics of the program areas are:
- Integrated education as an educational trend and tendency
- National curriculum as a precondition for integrated education
- Books/literature for primary and secondary education in the context of the concept for integrated education
- Design of multi – ethnic school environment
- Development of the idea for integrated education in Macedonian social context
- Evaluation of the structural components of the concept of integrated education
Characteristics of the training:
- Interactive way of working
- Bilingual approach
- Working in small groups
- Group discussion
- Learning through solving problems
- Role play